AIDA is a non-profit organization dedicated to justice for the environment in the Americas, with a focus on Latin America. We field multinational teams of lawyers and scientists to tackle environmental and human rights concerns, promote the transition to clean energy solutions, and protect environmental defenders. Founded in 1998, AIDA has a strong track-record of success using the law to defend communities and critical natural areas in many American nations.
AIDA hires talented people who share our commitment to human rights and the environment and to serving communities at risk. AIDA team members are based in Chile, Brazil, Bolivia, Colombia, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Mexico and the United States. We collaborate with communities and NGOs throughout Latin America and with Earthjustice in the United States.
This is an exciting position for someone wishing to lead the organization’s fundraising activities with a goal of significantly raise AIDA’s budget, growing the organization’s capacity. Current funding of 1.4 M is largely comprised of foundation grants with about 15% of revenue provided by individual donors. We seek to expand our major donor efforts and increase the size of foundation grants.
The Director of Development leads the cultivation of institutional and individual donor support. The ideal candidate will be a strategic and resourceful fundraiser who can work independently as well as collaboratively. Strong writing skills for diverse audiences is essential, as is attention to detail, the ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines. The position requires fluency in English and, ideally, the ability to understand written and spoken Spanish. The Director will work collaboratively with colleagues throughout the Americas, will have a home or shared office space, and will be available for occasional travel.
The Director of Development will preferably work in the California Bay Area or Mexico City, though working remotely from another location is an option.
- Lead implementation of the development program in collaboration with AIDA’s leadership team and fundraising associate.
- Develop a comprehensive, multi-year plan for growing organization revenue and increasing donor engagement.
- Develop annual fundraising plan and calendar including objectives, metrics, tasks and timelines.
- Network with and cultivate funders and prospects.
- Write and produce concept papers, proposals, appeals and reports.
- Ensure that donors receive interest-specific and appropriate organizational and program updates, responses to queries, gift acknowledgements and financial reporting.
- Work with AIDA’s Communications and Leadership teams to produce high quality fundraising materials.
- Use and contribute to strategic development of AIDA’s donor database (Salesforce).
- Build and maintain a working knowledge of developments in Latin America related to AIDA projects and programs, to inform donors and prospects.
- 5+ years of experience in non-profit fund development preferred.
- Self-motivated creative thinker able to prioritize, execute a plan and meet goals.
- Outstanding English written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to develop and produce successful projects and proposals.
- Ability to synthesize complex legal and scientific material, translate it into compelling text, and communicate it clearly and succinctly to donors.
- Ability to understand written and spoken Spanish highly desirable.
- Strong attention to detail, excellent organizational and time management skills
- Available for travel, mostly in the United States.
- Commitment to serving the public interest.
- Ability to work constructively as a member of a multicultural team and with remote partners.
- Demonstrated awareness of and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
Other desirable qualifications:
- Experience identifying, cultivating and stewarding donors.
- Knowledge of foundations that prioritize environmental and international funding.
- Familiarity with list growth, non-profit list management and communications tools.
- Experience with budgeting and financial reporting.
- Interest and/or background in environmental and human rights issues.
- Interest and/or experience in Latin America.
AIDA offers a mission-focused, flexible work environment and competitive compensation.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter explaining your interest and experience to: email@example.com with the subject line, “Director of Development.”
AIDA’s core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment. As an equal opportunity employer, AIDA is committed to employment practices that ensure that applicants are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor not related to the position.